Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Cold

When I start to feel cold every year, as the weather changes from summer to auntumn, I think about people who live in the cold all the time. Not those who necessarily live in cold climates, but those who don't have proper homes, or clothing - those people whom the rest of the world has forgotten, some of whom live right here in the USA. Sometimes we walk by them on city streets or see photos of them under layers of newspaper, sleeping on a park bench somewhere. Those are the people I am thinking of this morning. And I am also remembering that many chilkdren do not have warm houses to live in or proper winter coats to wear to school. Because if I am chilly here in my house, with plenty of blankets to grab when I need them, and more sweaters that I know what to do with, then how are those people feeling today? And how will they manage in January?

God help me to open my eyes to the people in the world who are suffering all around me. Help me to never turn a blind eye to the needs of others. And help me to always have an open pocketbook, no matter how many Christmas gifts I need to buy, or what kind of rug I want for my living room. Help me to see those people as your children and love them the way that you do.

Thank you for this cold morning and for reminding me that I have responsibilites to you and to the larger world.

No comments: