Monday, March 16, 2009

Death

I've been thinking a lot about death lately. I suppose that's natural since I've been diagnosed with cancer. I've no idea what the future holds for me, really - I could die soon or I could live another twenty years - the Bible tells us that none of us knows the time or the day, and that is surely true. But what I've figured out is this: God doesn't look at death as a horrible thing, an ending, a tragedy. To God, death from this life means our presence with Him. I believe that when we die - the minute we leave this earthly presence - we are in the presence of God. Why would we be afraid of that?

I love my life and I don't have any desire to leave it behind just yet. As humans we are all afraid of the unknown. But I'm not afraid of death and I don't dread it. I don't like to ponder the "process", which can be so hard. And I don't like thinking about leaving the people I love so dearly behind. Of course I would like to see my grandchildren grow up! But death? It holds no terror for me. Because I know that to be in God's presence will be glorious.

"For to live is Christ, but to die is gain..."

No comments: