Sunday, April 18, 2010

Old hymns

We sang old hymns in church today God and I was so grateful. I felt as though I'd been touched by your hand as I let my voice carry those wonderful words toward heaven and my mind was free to worship amidst the glory of the music.

Don't get me wrong, Lord. I do enjoy contemporary music and I like the challenge of a new hymn or praise song occasionally. But God, when I can sing one of the old familiar hymns, when the words and music are so well known to me that I don't have to even look at the hymnal but can let my voice soar and my heart smile with the blessing of it, I feel especially content. Today all the songs we sang at church were ones I know like I know the back of my hand. And I closed my eyes and immersed myself in each one like I was in the presence of a dear old friend who would envelope me in their arms and remind me of where I've been and how far I've come.

We sang old hymns in church today God and I was so grateful.

No comments: