Sunday, August 10, 2008

Down by the sea

It was a beautiful morning in August when I took a mini-vacation – a long walk along the beach. I do that occasionally when I need a “mental health” break – in fact I started doing that as soon as I was old enough to drive myself. Back then it was my escape from the world of teenaged angst, my latest case of unrequited love, or the perceived slight of soeone that I wanted badly to be friends with - but now it is a way to just be alone with my thoughts - without a phone to ring or a schedule to worry about. With so much "stuff" going on in my life, I knew I needed some time alone to reflect and talk to God.

I had walked far enough to be pretty much by myself save for an occasional dog walking with his owner, so I went and sat up near the dunes for awhile. The water was especially compelling that day - clear and blue and very calm, with just enough surf to create those lovely rolling waves which begin far to the right and uncurl languidly along the shore, moving out of sight just in time for the next one to come along in the same manner. It was relaxing and bewitching all at the same time and I was probably there for a good 30 minutes just meditating and praying. It was incredibly restorative to just get away from the worries of the day and my overbooked calendar and chat with God. I talked about my frustrations and worries, my concerns and conundrums, and when I was done I got up and headed back to my car, leaving it all behind. I was reminded of the scripture "Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls".

By the time I got back to my car I was a new person, renewed and refreshed, feeling lighter and freer than I had in awhile. I truly had found rest for my soul, and my entire being felt different.

So now.... I’m ready to take on September!

No comments: